Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 22:33:07 +0300

On 19.06.2020 22:12, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

That is, again, true. But what of the rest of files in that repository?
Do they belong to a different project?

Yes.

Do you also visit them, or not?

Not as part of working on the current project.  Though I might decide
to add some of them to the current project, as the need arises.

I mean, do you visit them in the same Emacs session?

If both answers are "no", then the current approach should work well
enough. Otherwise, you're welcome to file a new bug report with more
details, and we'll see what can be improved to accommodate that
situation too.

Which details are needed?

How is the current project defined. How is the "other" project defined. Something like that.

In any case, my point was that relying on the VCS to determine what is
and isn't in the project presents a restriction that a general-purpose
project-handling facility should lift early on to be useful, IMO.

I agree, but agreement alone is not enough to make it a reality.

OTOH, we already have a customization point that allows to exclude more files than .gitignore does (the project-vc-ignores variable).

*And* one can use the project API to introduce a project backend that does not rely on VC repositories. That's just not trivial, is all.