Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2020 13:39:05 +0300

Hello Boruch,

This time I started with Emacs without doing my usual stuff.

I did not check it, only I think you are invoking bash that does not
read my .bashrc while M-x shell, does read it. So I got different
prompt instead of my prompt.

You would need to review those compiler warnings as for example
{M-x diredc-mode-map RET} is mentioned there and cannot be found.

First thing I usually do is looing into are keybindings explained with
the {C-h m} and of course I can look into the source. My review is
from viewpoint of users, not from my personal view point.

https://gnu.support/images/2020/11/2020-11-04/2020-11-04-13:01:29.ogv

{M-x diredc RET} worked well as I used only TAB as you can see, nothing
much. I would not like using it for operations as it is not
refined.

Apparently {M-x diredc-recover} (recover what?!) removed all diredc
buffers and I finished video. Then I moved to left workspace and found
one dangling diredc buffer, so I killed it. It did not remove
everything.

My notation with curly brackets { } is handy to be activated by using
M-x RET within GNU Hyperbole package.

During writing of this email I have invoked {M-x diredc RET} again and
I could see this email frame going to front and diredc buffer
appearing below the frame buffer. For me that is not handy, as if I
wish or need something, I need it in front of me, not behind papers.

Colors are not visible and do not help me. What is directory and what
is not I get with the {C-h v RET dired-listing-switches RET} being
set to: -gohl --group-directories-first so I can ee directories anyway
in some colors, being listed first. On BSD systems this does not work.

My settings is with: (windmove-default-keybindings 'super) so I am
anyway switching way easier then just {C-x o} in dired buffer, I click
Super key and arrow to which direction I wish to move. I got surprised
that Dired does not use TAB key for at least something useful. Like
you have made it to switch to other window, or to maybe switch both
windows.

I can say it is +1 for TAB switching and quick shell opening. This
gives me ideas for key bindings.

For those other features... nothing to say yet.

Jean