Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]

From: Boruch Baum
Subject: Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2020 08:17:30 -0500

On 2020-11-04 13:39, Jean Louis wrote:
> https://gnu.support/images/2020/11/2020-11-04/2020-11-04-13:01:29.ogv

Hi. I'm really enjoying your video, and will need to watch it a few more
times before I can get through it without laughing. The key sequences
this time indicate that you are doing your best to avoid actually using
diredc and are working hard to create complications for yourself. For
example, you launch diredc, but then instead of using it you make a
direct use of M-x dired. Then you perform C-x 3 to make it look to you
like you might be in diredc (you aren't). And it continues. I've watched
the video a few times but have never gotten to the end yet, because I'm
laughing too hard.

The usage instructions for diredc are pretty short, so try reading them.
That's what they're for, and if they're unclear I'll be happy to edit
them for clarity and simplicity. If you did read them once, it's obvious
that either they weren't clearly written or you weren't paying attention.

The video shows that you eventually figured out that after performing
M-x package-install-from-buffer, you need to take the extra step of
to just evaluate the buffer, but that's cool; emacs is all about choices).

The intention is for the users to perform M-x diredc (it should be bound
to S-<F11>) to launch it, *and* to use the same command to toggle into
and out of the diredc frame. A design goal of the package is to avoid
accumulating more than two dired buffers, and to keep an orderly dired
configuration. There should never be a need to call dired itself
directly; When you want to use dired, perform S-<F11> to enter diredc.
The default keybinding '/' will take you anywhere (and will push the
location on the panel's history stack so you can quick navigate back).
"C-u /" pops up a history list for the selected pane and, well I'm just
re-writing the documentation now, aren't I...

When I make it through the video, I'll continue and respond to the rest
of your e-mail.

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0