Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2020 13:07:52 -0500

> I've just published an elisp package that extends and configures
> dired-mode with features that many people have come to take for granted
> in other programming languages. For the source code and the detailed
> description, see: http://github.com/Boruch-Baum/emacs-diredc

AFAICT, this is a mix of:

- extensions to dired-mode itself (along the lines of what is done also
  in dired-x, and indeed partly building on dired-x).
- a layer on top of dired that provides a UI similar to that of
  midnight-commander (i.e. two dired buffers displayed on side-by-side
  windows and treated as "a unit").

I'm curious how the second aspect compares to other midnight-commander
clones in Emacs like the old `mc.el` and `sunrise-commander.el`.

How 'bout we add it to GNU ELPA and then we work on integrating some of
the code into Dired (i.e. the part that makes sense within Dired
itself)?

        Stefan