Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]

From: Boruch Baum
Subject: Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 04:34:20 -0500

On 2020-11-05 07:00, Stefan Kangas wrote:
> Indeed.  As soon as it goes into GNU ELPA, anyone could in principle
> merge the functionality into Emacs.
>
> But I had hoped that you would be interested in writing the patches to
> do this.  You seem well placed to do it, since you are likely to have
> studied this recently and know the domain.

At this point it's all theoretical. The ELPA+merge idea was Stefan
Monnier's, but he admitted that he didn't have a notion what parts
should be merged and that he doesn't even use dired, so there doesn't
yet seem to be any beginning of a plan or roadmap or even agreed-upon
wish-list or actual user-base (though the package has started a lot of
discussion on this list, none of it had been expressions of enthusiasm
for actually using it). Outside the list, I've only otherwise mentioned
it on the emacs-w3m list, and the only positive feed-back I've received
is about eight people 'starring' the repository on github. I've no idea
how many people tried it and rejected it, or liked it but didn't 'star'
it.

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0