Re: Feature branches review please (ivy hello)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Feature branches review please (ivy hello)
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2020 16:10:19 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2020 08:56:45 -0500
> Cc: Oleh Krehel <ohwoeowho@gmail.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > I have seen previous discussion about it entering main Emacs.
> > Question: Why not?
>
> FWIW, here's my take on it: a package should be included in Emacs
> if it's activated by default or if it's a library that's required by
> many other packages.

We didn't make such a decision, AFAIK, and as a matter of fact, a
large part of what comes today with Emacs doesn't pass this test.

A prerequisite for making such a decision would be to find a way of
bundling ELPA packages into an Emacs tarball when preparing a
release.  We haven't yet found the way of doing that, although some
discussions were held about what would that entail.

Personally, I think promoting the above concept before the decision
was made is something to avoid, because it sends the wrong message.