Re: Could ivy minibuffer stay where it is?

From: Basil L. Contovounesios
Subject: Re: Could ivy minibuffer stay where it is?
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2020 15:20:49 +0000

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> Oleh, is there a setting for Ivy that minibuffer stays where it is?
>
> You may see the difference between:
>
> counsel-M-x
>
> and
>
> helm-M-x as this one creates 2 buffers, one for selection while
> minibuffer stays where it is. This is my preferred way of work. As
> user is typing and should not move his eyes or focus from familiar
> place in this case minibuffer.
>
> Could you consider adding such option that prompt remains in the
> minibuffer while selection is above minibuffer?

Ivy was explicitly designed with the minibuffer in mind, just like
built-in minibuffer completion.  That said, it's possible to customise
where completions appear.  For example, in-buffer completion is
displayed in an overlay at point, not in the minibuffer.
See e.g. the following for more information:

- https://github.com/abo-abo/swiper/wiki/ivy-display-function
- ivy-display-functions-alist
- ivy-display-functions-props
- https://github.com/tumashu/ivy-posframe