Re: Feature branches review please

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Feature branches review please
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2020 22:24:46 +0000

I expect to be able to move in vertical line, not only type letters. Feeling is rigid, I cannot move up and down with familiar keys likes C-n or C-p like I can do in ivy-mode or in helm

With icomplete-mode, C-h m tells you that:

C-, is icomplete-backward-completions
C-. is icomplete-forward-completions

And you can always:

(define-key icomplete-minibuffer-map (kbd "C-n") 'icomplete-forward-completions)
(define-key icomplete-minibuffer-map (kbd "C-p")
'icomplete-backward-completions)

Maybe it is separator. Even with my customization, C-j is not working.

With icomplete-mode C-j would do what you want (it is bound to icomplete-force-complete-and-exit).

I looked at your video, most of the time I do not understand what you try to do. Of course nothing works as you expect it to work, out of the box, without reading any documentation.

And yes, ivy and helm have more features, so if you prefer ivy or helm, just use ivy or helm.

4. icomplete-mode reinvents the wheel and is already in Emacs.

No, icomplete-mode does not reinvent the wheel, it came first, then came ido-mode, then ivy and helm.