Re: Feature branches review please

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Feature branches review please
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 01:48:13 +0300

* Gregory Heytings <ghe@sdf.org> [2020-11-06 01:25]:

> > I expect to be able to move in vertical line, not only type letters.
> > Feeling is rigid, I cannot move up and down with familiar keys likes C-n
> > or C-p like I can do in ivy-mode or in helm
> >

> With icomplete-mode, C-h m tells you that:
>
> C-, is icomplete-backward-completions
> C-. is icomplete-forward-completions

Sorry for omission.

I am not used to those keys. When you are in M-x shell or in terminal,
or in bash, or in eshell keys are C-p and C-n, those keys are
everywhere. Of course I am not used to C-, and C-. even they could be
popular, I have no idea.

> (define-key icomplete-minibuffer-map (kbd "C-n")
> 'icomplete-forward-completions)
> (define-key icomplete-minibuffer-map (kbd "C-p")
> 'icomplete-backward-completions)

Of course I can.

But I need not do it in ivy- helm-, and is surprise for ido- and
icomplete- to follow different key bindings. I am giving you review,
it is not that I will use icomplete. I am giving you impression upon
which you may think and maybe act, ideas for considerations.

> I looked at your video, most of the time I do not understand what you try to
> do.  Of course nothing works as you expect it to work, out of the box,
> without reading any documentation.

I have been demonstrating differences, maybe it is too fast. I have
tried moving up and down and narrowing the search, showing actions and
possibilities. Comparing icomplete to ido.

> And yes, ivy and helm have more features, so if you prefer ivy or helm, just
> use ivy or helm.

That I know already. I am looking for preferrably built-in system that
will have narrowing vertical incremental search, like built-in ivy or
helm. Something that ido or icomplete could become. Until then I keep
ivy as most simplest solution as I prefer package from GNU ELPA.

> > 4. icomplete-mode reinvents the wheel and is already in Emacs.
>
> No, icomplete-mode does not reinvent the wheel, it came first, then came
> ido-mode, then ivy and helm.

OK it came first, then ido-mode became better, it had to be
merged. Now we have ido-mode that works and icomplete coming that does
not work but does anything what ido-mode does. Sorry I get confused
there.

What I need is basically dmenu for Emacs. Simple and general approach
for narrowing incremental search. That opens up plethora of
opportunities which I am already using. But I could make packages for
Emacs. Dmenu: https://tools.suckless.org/dmenu/

- database backed accounting becomes easy to do

- multi-companies issuing many invoices for variety of goods or
  articles

- supermarket inventory

- managing unlimited mailing lists

- accurate statistics provisioning with graphs for organizations

- translations

- template expansion for website revision systems

- website revision system

- handling tasks

- handling SMS-es, emails, locations on file system

- human resource management

- relations between people

- contact management

- sales flow

You may see how dmenu which is separate program works under X Window
system to launch files:

1.8M demo of dmenu program:
https://gnu.support/images/2020/11/2020-11-05/2020-11-06-01:38:29.ogv

I could as well use dmenu from within Emacs, that would be useful but
it would be mixture of various interfaces. It can complete any kind of
lists.

System should be by KISS principle. Even ivy and helm are way too
complicated. Helm has too many options on display and is not user
friendly.