RE: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 22:14:02 +0000

> > I have no idea about how to effectively implement those filters,
> apart
> > from implementing an advanced A.I., but then I would prefer
> dedicating
> > the next 30 years of my life to something else.
>
> Well, then maybe someone will volunteer to do this job for you and
> others, and call people's attention to discussions on the bug list
> that might interest you and others.

This seems like a cop-out, to me.

To me, the solution is for bug discussions to
be managed (particularly by anyone who intends
to actually make some change to Emacs) to stop
and move some more general discussion, which
has moved beyond the OP, to emacs-devel.

Oscar's point was that the OP request was
limited, and the result of the bug thread was
to make a much wider-ranging change to Emacs,
not a _necessary_ change to fix the specific
bug.

The right way to handle that (IMO) would have
been to move that wider discussion to emacs-devel.
Let the discussion here decide what changes,
if any, to make.  At least expose more eyeballs
to the wider question at hand.

(That's happening now - for this one, but the
changes were already made, without wider
discussion.)