RE: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 07:36:11 +0200

On February 3, 2021 6:44:01 AM GMT+02:00, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
wrote:

> and
> list
> > >
> > > This seems like a cop-out, to me.
> >
> > The Emacs developers are volunteers doing this job on their own free
> > time and as much as their resources allow.  When there's something
> the
> > community would like to be done that the developers cannot afford
> > doing, it is customary to call for volunteers to fill that niche.
> > That's the spirit in Free Software projects developed by volunteers,
> > and there's nothing wrong with that, certainly not something that
> > deserves derogatory remarks such as the one above.
>
> You quoted out of context and went off on something else.
>
> My point was that, instead of relying on _anyone_
> doing the suggested new job, it should be everyone's
> job in a bug-thread to move a discussion to emacs-devel
> if it ranges beyond the bug/improvement in question (and
> if it's to be continued at all), and especially if it
> seems to be leading toward a choice of whether to make
> wider changes.

IME, there's no "we" in volunteer based Free Software projects such as this
one.  Saying "we should do this-and-that" or "this-and-that should be
everyone's job" has only one consequence: that no one will do it.  The only way
it could work is to interpret "we" as meaning the head maintainers.  I thought
you were using this only sensible meaning of "we", and responded to that.

But if you believe that just saying "we should" will get the thing done, then
you have said that already, and so we should simply wait for it to happen,
because "we all" will do it.  Right?