Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 07:17:29 +0200

On February 3, 2021 5:58:24 AM GMT+02:00, Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 03, 2021 at 05:28:28AM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 01:56:42 +0100
> >> From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
> >> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >>
> >> But Eli, Stefan, Lars... Do you approve this change? At least
> revert the
> >> binding?
> >
> >Which change? what binding?
> >
> Commit: 7d15fa008af774789a91d7242055dc87497df66f
>
> All this thread is because of that.

This thread seems to be about a lot of things, including whether it's okay for
3rd party packages to use C-x SOME-LETTER, and even whether the Emacs
developers are doing their job well enough.

As for that particular commit: the discussion is still unfolding, and it isn't
yet clear to me whether there's consensus or what it is.  Some say that Magit
was wrong in using "C-x g" to begin with, others (including yourself?) are okay
with having "C-x g" globally bound to revert-buffer if we add to that more
global bindings starting with "C-x g".  And most of the points you raised in
your OP didn't yet get any responses.

So from my POV it's too early to make up my mind about this.  Lars obviously
didn't think the new binding was terribly wrong, or else he wouldn't have
committed that change.  And Stefan started a new thread to discuss a related
but separate issue.

So I think we should wait and see if some consensus emerges out of this
discussion.