RE: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 02:32:06 +0000

> >> I would suggest something like:
> >>
> >> C-x g c = clone-buffer
> >> C-x g d = diff-buffers
> >> C-x g f = fit-frame-to-buffer
> >> C-x g h = hexl-mode
> >> C-x g i = insert-buffer
> >> C-x g l = font-lock-mode
> >> C-x g n = rename-buffer
> >> C-x g r = revert-buffer
> >> C-x g R = revert-buffer-with-fine-grain
> >> C-x g t = toggle-truncate-lines
> >>
> >> and so forth.
> >
> >Please, no, absolutely not.
> >
> >You can do that for your own use.
> >
> >If zillions of users end up using exactly that
> >for a considerable time, then emacs-devel can
> >think about giving prefix key `C-x g' to Emacs
> >that way.  Till then, no, please.  wAGNI.
>
> Drew:
>
> The binding is already taken (that's why I started the thread), so the
> discussion will be to take it for something "better" than a single
> (maybe superfluous) command.

IMO the decision should be to revert that binding.

It doesn't make sense to take it as given at this
point and only hope that at least other things get
stuffed under it as a prefix key.

> If we start arguing as usual then the binding will stay and no change
> will be done (again as usual).

The question should have been discussed.  And it
should be discussed here now, IMO.  This mistake
shouldn't be considered carved in stone.