Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 18:45:09 +0100

> On 02 Feb 2021, Ergus wrote:
>>1) In general `C-x g` is used by magit; I know this is not a
>>priority (cause magit is an external package), but magit is a
>>very popular package.
>
> While Magit is indeed very popular and valuable, shouldn't it
> still adhere to convention and avoid binding things in the `C-x'
> space?
>
> That's really a point to be made on the Magit development mailing
> list, not here, but what I'm saying here is that Emacs shouldn't
> make special efforts to avoid interfering with package keybindings
> that violate Emacs's conventions anyway.
>
> Magit should instead suggest `C-c g' as an entry point for
> `magit-status', though a user can bind it however they want of course.
> I doubt there are any Magit users who would be daunted by the need to
> set up a keybinding for Magit's entry point.

To be clear, Magit itself does not bind anything by default. It
suggests "C-x g" as a binding, and I see now that it also offers an
option to enable that binding for the user.

It is not the only high-level package using "C-x letter" as an entry
point, another example coming to mind is projectile ("C-x p").

As for the conventions, as far as I can tell, they explicitly require
to steer clear of "C-c letter", but they don't have anything about
"C-x letter":
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Key-Binding-Conventions.html

Thibaut