RE: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 22:22:34 +0000

> I agree with you that these free slots should probably be used as
> prefix commands.

Not by Emacs, please.  Leave them for users and
3rd-party libraries (which would preferably make
them optional in some way).

Emacs should, in 2021, no longer be conquering
key-sequence space.  It should leave the little
bit of space left there to users.

There's a tendency for Emacs to gather more and
more stuff (e.g. Project), and for its developers
to want to add one or more prefix keys for that.

That's forgivable (IMO) for 3rd-party libraries,
but I no longer forgive it for Emacs itself.
Time to tell Emacs to back off, IMO.

> I would suggest something like:
>
> C-x g c = clone-buffer
> C-x g d = diff-buffers
> C-x g f = fit-frame-to-buffer
> C-x g h = hexl-mode
> C-x g i = insert-buffer
> C-x g l = font-lock-mode
> C-x g n = rename-buffer
> C-x g r = revert-buffer
> C-x g R = revert-buffer-with-fine-grain
> C-x g t = toggle-truncate-lines
>
> and so forth.

Please, no, absolutely not.

You can do that for your own use.

If zillions of users end up using exactly that
for a considerable time, then emacs-devel can
think about giving prefix key `C-x g' to Emacs
that way.  Till then, no, please.  wAGNI.