Re: Invoking Magit

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Invoking Magit
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 16:49:57 -0600

On 02 Feb 2021, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Those are for use *within* the major/minor mode. The keybinding under discussion is a global one to make it easier to enter Magit. It doesn't have much choice but to collide with something :-(

Yes, I know? (Sorry; I think you maybe thought I was saying something I wasn't saying.)

I think it'd make more sense to use a keybinding under the `C-x v` prefix.
...I couldn't tell whether you meant it would make more sense for *users* to do that (i.e., by their choice), or for *Emacs* to do that (i.e., we reserve that slot for Magit).
Neither/both. I meant for Magit to do that.

What I'm proposing is cooperation between Emacs and popular independent 3rd-party packages:

Emacs reserves certain bindings for a given package, so that when the package maintainers use those bindings, they know it's safe. Emacs would maintain a registry so it's clear to everyone what's going on.

Let me put it this way:

If Magit were shipped as part of Emacs, there would be no question in about what to do, right? Emacs would choose keybindings for the Magit entry points, the same way Emacs chooses keybindings for anything else.

All I'm saying is, the fact that Magit is not shipped with Emacs is largely irrelevant here. What matters is its popularity, not its provenance. Emacs can still reserve keybindings for it, and the fact that the package is supplied from elsewhere is fine.

(What those bindings would do when the package isn't loaded is simply display information about where to get the package in questions.)

Best regards,
-Karl