Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Sean Whitton
Subject: Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 11:04:15 -0700

Hello,

On Tue 02 Feb 2021 at 06:45PM +01, Thibaut Verron wrote:

> To be clear, Magit itself does not bind anything by default. It
> suggests "C-x g" as a binding, and I see now that it also offers an
> option to enable that binding for the user.

Actually, it's on by default in current git master and in the version of
magit in Debian.

> It is not the only high-level package using "C-x letter" as an entry
> point, another example coming to mind is projectile ("C-x p").

No, projectile was C-c p, but it eventually removed it and just
suggested in its docs that users bind it themselves.

I think that approach would be sensible for magit too.

> As for the conventions, as far as I can tell, they explicitly require
> to steer clear of "C-c letter", but they don't have anything about
> "C-x letter":
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Key-Binding-Conventions.html

AFAICT, there's an implicit additional convention that major and minor
modes stick to the sequences that are reserved for them.  Given this,
ISTM that as magit chose to bind C-x g, there was inevitably going to be
a clash like this sooner or later.

--
Sean Whitton