RE: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 16:03:32 +0000

> > My point was that, instead of relying on _anyone_
> > doing the suggested new job, it should be everyone's
> > job in a bug-thread to move a discussion to emacs-devel
> > if it ranges beyond the bug/improvement in question (and
> > if it's to be continued at all), and especially if it
> > seems to be leading toward a choice of whether to make
> > wider changes.
>
> IME, there's no "we" in volunteer based Free Software projects such as
> this one.  Saying "we should do this-and-that" or "this-and-that should
> be everyone's job" has only one consequence: that no one will do it.

Currently, someone _is_ doing something.
Someone is making changes that range
beyond the needs/request of particular
bug/improvement reported.

That's what should be fixed, IMO.  Let's
stop doing that.  Instead of just making
some such wide-ranging change, start a
discussion on emacs-devel.

Anyone in a bug discussion can do that.
And it _especially_ behooves anyone who's
thinking about instead just making a
change without such wider discussion.

Designating a single volunteer to follow
all bug threads, and signal to emacs-devel
whenever s?he thinks the wider list is
relevant, is (IMO) not too likely to help.
But if you as maintainer think that that's
the solution, go for it.

There's a _problem_.  I don't think what
you proposed sounds like a great solution.
I'll be happy to be proven wrong.  The
point is to fix the problem, somehow.

I suggested instead that those _actually_
participating in a given bug thread monitor
themselves - that bug discussion - and DTRT:

 1. Don't just make a wider change.
 2. Do start a discussion on emacs-devel
    about the wider question.

> The only way it could work is to interpret "we" as meaning the head
> maintainers.  I thought you were using this only sensible meaning of
> "we", and responded to that.
>
> But if you believe that just saying "we should" will get the thing
> done, then you have said that already, and so we should simply wait for
> it to happen, because "we all" will do it.  Right?

IMO, it starts by #1: those who've been
making wide changes in bug threads refrain
from doing that.  And yes, #2: everyone in
bug threads start to think more about not
making such changes, and instead moving
wide discussions to emacs-devel.

Just one opinion.