RE: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 16:12:01 +0000

> > > Did that discussion happen entirely within that bug thread?
> >
> > I do not remember seeing any message on emacs-devel about this topic
> > before Ergus started this thread.

That's my recollection also.

> FTR, that bug report was a feature request (and for a new key binding
> at that), so the fact it ended up introducing a new key binding
> shouldn't surprise anyone.

It was about a particular mode, not about a
global key for reverting buffers in general.

That's the problem: the discussion of a narrow
feature request and possible solutions turned
into a wider discussion.  _And_ someone there
decided to change Emacs to add a global key
for reverting buffers.

That a bug/enhancement discussion can range
wider is not unusual or bad.  But when it
comes to making wide-ranging changes to Emacs
it's maybe time to move that wider discussion
to emacs-devel.  That's the point (IMO).

> It is of course OK to start here a discussion about any change that
> could have unintended or adverse consequences, as Ergus did in this
> case.  I see nothing wrong with having such discussions after the
> change is installed.

100% agreement.  It's not too late to discuss
this, and to remove that new key binding.

IMO, the binding should be removed until/unless
the discussion here leads to a decision to add
it back again.