Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2021 18:28:07 +0200

> Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2021 15:56:33 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
> cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> >> Could we revert the previous one then?? That's the first part of my
> >> question.
> >
> > I'd prefer to find a binding to which people could agree, because that
> > would leave fewer people unhappy.  The two candidates proposed till now
> > are "C-x G" and "C-x M-u".
> >

> You forgot the proposal to which the mail you are replying to explicitly
> refers.

No, I didn't forget.  I just prefer to solve a problem by the simplest
fix, and introducing a whole new set of bindings seems more complex
than strictly needed.  That proposal also didn't seem to have too many
supporters.

But I'm okay with that as well, if it will be deemed as an acceptable
fix.

> BTW, Richard replied to the "C-x G" proposal: "Letters following C-x are
> not case-sensitive.  That is a systematic rule.  That rule is not sacred;
> for a good enough reason, we could break it.  But this is not an important
> reason; it is not sufficient reason to break a rule."

I keep that in mind as well.  But if enough people are okay with "C-x G"
we might decide to break that rule here anyway.