Re: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 19:13:43 +0200

> From: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> CC: "spacibba@aol.com" <spacibba@aol.com>
> Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 16:12:01 +0000
>
> > FTR, that bug report was a feature request (and for a new key binding
> > at that), so the fact it ended up introducing a new key binding
> > shouldn't surprise anyone.
>
> It was about a particular mode, not about a
> global key for reverting buffers in general.

The original suggestion was about a minor mode, but while discussing
the solution, several people agreed that a more general solution would
make sense.  There's nothing wrong here.  It's entirely within a
legitimate process of discussing a proposal for an improvement, and
it's entirely adequate for the maintainers to decide they prefer a
more general solution to what originally was a more narrow one.

> That's the problem: the discussion of a narrow
> feature request and possible solutions turned
> into a wider discussion.  _And_ someone there
> decided to change Emacs to add a global key
> for reverting buffers.

There's no problem here, none.  This is how Emacs development worked
for decades, and this is how it works now.  Please stop
misrepresenting a completely legitimate process of deciding on a
solution as if it were some kind of coup d'état.  It isn't.  Nothing
untowardly happened during the discussions of that issue, and the
decision was entirely adequate.

> That a bug/enhancement discussion can range
> wider is not unusual or bad.  But when it
> comes to making wide-ranging changes to Emacs
> it's maybe time to move that wider discussion
> to emacs-devel.  That's the point (IMO).

The "maybe" part assumes some space for a judgment call, so it's
unclear to me why you claim that the decision not to start such a
discussion ahead of the commit must necessarily be wrong.

> > It is of course OK to start here a discussion about any change that
> > could have unintended or adverse consequences, as Ergus did in this
> > case.  I see nothing wrong with having such discussions after the
> > change is installed.
>
> 100% agreement.  It's not too late to discuss
> this, and to remove that new key binding.

Then what is the problem, exactly? what are you arguing about, when
the discussion _was_ started, and _is_ happening?

> IMO, the binding should be removed until/unless
> the discussion here leads to a decision to add
> it back again.

Please wait till the discussion comes to its conclusion.