RE: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 22:07:22 +0000

> The title of that bug report is "Set revert-buffer-function in shell
> command output buffers", no hint about discussing global keybindings.
>
> So the effective policy is that either one reads each and every message
> in emacs-bugs (which probably requires too much time even for some of
> the most active emacs developers and would be a waste of time for the
> most part) or be left excluded from such debates.

Yup, this is a problem (IMO).

IMHO, developments outside the purview of a given
bug report should NOT be undertaken without either
(1) filing another bug report to cover that new
subject or (2) opening a discussion in mailing
list emacs-devel.

There are far too many consequential developments
being done now in the context of bug threads.  My
guess is that this is (at least sometimes) to make
an end-run around the need for wider discussion.

Eli has even hinted that that's the case, I think,
by saying that discussion in emacs-devel can be
never-ending (my paraphrase of what I recall).