Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 09:05:50 +0200

On February 3, 2021 8:08:13 AM GMT+02:00, "Kévin Le Gouguec"
<kevin.legouguec@gmail.com> wrote:
> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >   > See bug#46151.
> >
> >   > IIUC the initial request was to have a way to revert shell
> output
> >   > buffers; somewhere along the way the usefulness of a global
> binding for
> >   > revert-buffer was brought up, various options were discussed, a
> decision
> >   > was taken, and here we are.
> >
> > Did that discussion happen entirely within that bug thread?
>
> I do not remember seeing any message on emacs-devel about this topic
> before Ergus started this thread.

FTR, that bug report was a feature request (and for a new key binding at that),
so the fact it ended up introducing a new key binding shouldn't surprise anyone.

It is of course OK to start here a discussion about any change that could have
unintended or adverse consequences, as Ergus did in this case.  I see nothing
wrong with having such discussions after the change is installed.