Re: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 19:02:18 +0200

> From: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> CC: "ofv@wanadoo.es" <ofv@wanadoo.es>,
>         "emacs-devel@gnu.org"
>       <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 16:03:32 +0000
>
> > IME, there's no "we" in volunteer based Free Software projects such as
> > this one.  Saying "we should do this-and-that" or "this-and-that should
> > be everyone's job" has only one consequence: that no one will do it.
>
> Currently, someone _is_ doing something.
> Someone is making changes that range
> beyond the needs/request of particular
> bug/improvement reported.

The prerogative to decide whether some solution is or isn't within the
needs of a problem belongs to the maintainers.  If you want to be part
of this decision-making process, please volunteer to join the
maintenance team.  Otherwise, you will have to trust us to make those
decisions.

> That's what should be fixed, IMO.  Let's
> stop doing that.  Instead of just making
> some such wide-ranging change, start a
> discussion on emacs-devel.

I'm okay with someone -- anyone -- starting a discussion on
emacs-devel about anything being discussed on the bug list.  Just
don't expect Lars and myself to do it every time -- or even most of
the time.  We have too much on our plates to afford doing this
additional job, which we consider much less important than actually
working on the issues.

> I suggested instead that those _actually_
> participating in a given bug thread monitor
> themselves - that bug discussion - and DTRT:
>
>  1. Don't just make a wider change.
>  2. Do start a discussion on emacs-devel
>     about the wider question.

Once again, these decisions are our prerogative.  Your suggestions are
noted, but are unlikely to be implemented, unless someone volunteers
to start these discussions when people think they should be started.
This has been said already, time and again, so please stop reiterating
the same unfair demands, and instead consider helping us more,
especially where you are motivated to help -- in making more
discussions on emacs-devel.

> > But if you believe that just saying "we should" will get the thing
> > done, then you have said that already, and so we should simply wait for
> > it to happen, because "we all" will do it.  Right?
>
> IMO, it starts by #1: those who've been
> making wide changes in bug threads refrain
> from doing that.

We won't!  Your demands are out of line.  We are here to develop
Emacs, and we will continue doing that as best as we can, unless the
community thinks we are doing harm, in which case the community should
simply ask us to step down.