RE: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2021 00:46:28 +0000

> > There is always the possibility to use another free C-x LETTER slot.
> > The other ones are c j w x y.  (A few symbols are also free, for
> > example # / % : _ !.)
>
> Given that C-/ is undo, i would find it easier to remember C-x / as
> revert-buffer ("undo everything", if you look at it sideways :))
> than any other proposed alternative.

And here we go again.  Not more than 4 days ago
did I write in the bug thread for this that my
library `zones.el' uses prefix key `C-x /':

  I had a zillion keys bound on prefix key `C-x p'
  (for Bookmark+), because that was free years ago.

  Then you decided to give that prefix key to "Project"
  (saying explicitly, BTW that you "don't need" to pay
  any heed to the fact that Drew uses that prefix key,
  which is of course true).  And on and on it goes.

  I choose to use prefix `C-x /' for zones.el, but
                         ^^^^^^^
  tomorrow I may find that some part of Emacs has been
  given that key.

Tomorrow has arrived...  So disappointing.
___

https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=46151#61
___

How about Emacs just stops binding keys by default?
How about leaving what's left _without_ default
bindings?

Or will Emacs developers realize the importance of
this conservation only when there are no keys left?

(Why does this remind me of those who want to open
wilderness to private development?  And those who
settled in areas they claim had no inhabitants?)

Emacs doesn't need any more default key bindings.

Put differently, there will _always_ be things that
could be bound to keys.  Emacs will be adding commands
forever.  Users and 3rd-party libraries also need keys.