Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Karthik Chikmagalur
Subject: Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 15:22:36 -0800

Is the rationale for choosing `C-x x' as the prefix for buffer related
commands merely that `C-x g' is popular among magit users? Neither `C-x
g' nor `C-x x' are mnemonic for buffer-related commands, though. I can
think of a couple of alternatives, including `C-x M-b' as the prefix for
buffer commands. If there's a decision to add similar file-related
keybindings in the future (`rename-file', etc), it can neatly slot into
a `C-x M-f' keymap.

A secondary issue is the choice of keys in ctl-x-x-map:

1. `C-x x n': clone-buffer

Shouldn't this be `C-x x c' for consistency with the similar binding for
`clone-indirect-buffer-other-window' (`C-x 4 c')? The two commands are
even bound five lines apart in lisp/bindings.el!

2. `C-x x u': rename-uniquely

I would guess `u' is mostly mnemonic for undo in most users' minds. Does
this command need to be bound at all?