RE: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2021 01:18:07 +0000

> What if (just getting crazy) you consider adding
> some/most of the bookmark+ functionalities to vanilla

I've offered any and all of it, multiple times, for
decades.  I've offered all of my code.

> they will go in the `C-x r` map with the other
> bookmark commands (C-x r b, C-x r m and so on)???
> Like diredx for dired or and many other examples...

There are 13 keys on `C-x r' for registers, 9 for
rectangles, and 4 for bookmarks.  Those 3 groups
don't really belong on the same prefix key, IMO.
(They could be on different prefix keys under
`C-x r' - or somewhere else.)

None of this has anything to do with the general
argument to have more keys, including prefix keys,
and including all `C-x <whatever>' prefix keys,
kept available for 3rd-party code, i.e. not bound
by default by Emacs.

Limited remaining keyspace is a problem that needs
a solution, no matter which solution someone might
prefer for it.  That problem exists independently
of any solution I might prefer for it.  It's a
problem that's essentially been ignored, so far.

> I wanted to use bookmark+ long time ago, but ...
> I will have to sacrifice a binding just for it...

No, you don't have to.  You can easily prevent any
bindings at all for its commands.  You can bind
any of its commands to any keys you like.  And you
can easily customize the prefix keys to use, even
without fiddling with key bindings: options
`bmkp-bookmark-map-prefix-keys',
`bmkp-jump-map-prefix-keys', and
`bmkp-jump-other-window-map-prefix-keys'.

(It's also fine not to use Bookmark+.)