Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2021 20:28:22 +0100

>>> Except that \ is hard to type on most keyboards: C and \ are the two
>>> most distant keys on the most widespread keyboard layout (QWERTY), and
>>> on other keyboards \ requires pressing Shift or AltGr.
>>
>> I don't quite get how you reach that conclusion about the qwerty
>> keyboard.
>>
>> On my ISO102 qwerty keyboard, \ is diagonally adjacent to left control
>> (regardless of whether it's at its original position or on capslock),
>> and there is another \ left of RET, so two keys above, one left of right
>> control.
>>
>> With an ANSI keyboard, it's only available on one key, which is 3 keys
>> above right control.
>>

> This is diverging more and more from the proposal, but: on smaller
> keyboards (laptops) there is typically only one control key (on the bottom
> left) and only \ key (near the right top).

I cannot remember ever laying my hands on a laptop with only one
control key, but that may be one more of those ISO vs ANSI things.

At any rate, it's far easier to type C-\ with the left hand on control
and right hand on \ than both with the right hand. The fact that your
left control is on capslock (mine is, too) shouldn't make a
difference: left pinky on control/capslock, right pinky on \.

Do you also find C-ret or C-backspace hard to type?