Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2021 22:37:57 +0100

>>> It is proposed to repurpose one key, and to reserve it in the key
>>> binding conventions for third-party packages.  The keys that could
>>> be reserved for that purpose are:
>>>
>>> Option 1. C-z, with a single exception: "C-z C-z" would be bound to
>>> "suspend-frame"
>>
>> Please don't. C-z is bound to "suspend" since a very long time (it's
>> even mentioned in Craig Finseth's book), and it is one of the few
>> keys that has an universal meaning on the tty in Unix like systems,
>> across applications.
>>
>> Also, it would be a large pain to use anything other than a single
>> key for this function.

> Do you really mean that it is "a large pain" to type "C-z C-z" (three
> keypresses) instead of "C-z" (two keypresses)? For something you don't
> do frequently?

I'd say that at least on a tty I use C-z more frequently than several
other control keys.

How about C-\ or C-^? Historically these were used as substitutes for
C-s and C-q when editing via serial lines (and there's still a function
enable-flow-control that activates it). Certainly that's no longer a
frequent use case?