Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 13:55:39 +0000

So you can type C-α C-α Foopkg RET, then C-α gives you the Foopkg bindings.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Would this mean that each time you want to use, say, Org-mode you would have to C-α C-α org-mode RET before typing C-α c? If so, I don't think this would work.

Org is a collection of major modes, so I don't think it should need to use the C-α mechanism. That mechanism would be meant for packages that need to define a binding for a global prefix key. Major modes can simply define local bindings.

Org is indeed a collection of major modes, but three of its commands are meant to be bound to global bindings: org-capture, org-agenda, and org-store-link. These commands are intended to be called from anywhere else, say from Rmail. For example, org-capture is similar to (and derived from) M-x remember, it lets you store notes without interrupting your work flow: while reading a mail in Rmail you can select a part of its text and call org-capture, the text you selected will be copied to a new note, you can add other information to the note, and the result will be stored in your "notes.org" file.