Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2021 22:00:30 +0000

Do you really mean that it is "a large pain" to type "C-z C-z" (three keypresses) instead of "C-z" (two keypresses)? For something you don't do frequently?

I'd say that at least on a tty I use C-z more frequently than several other control keys.

So do I, but that still doesn't make it "a large pain" to type "C-z C-z" instead of "C-z", I guess.

How about C-\ or C-^?

I did consider to include C-\ in the options, but \ is hard to type on most keyboards: C and \ are the two most distant keys on the most widespread keyboard layout (QWERTY), on other keyboards \ requires pressing Shift or AltGr, ... A letter would be much better.

C-^ is clearly not an option, it is way too hard to type even with the QWERTY layout (C-S-6).