Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 19:16:42 +0000

Except that \ is hard to type on most keyboards: C and \ are the two most distant keys on the most widespread keyboard layout (QWERTY), and on other keyboards \ requires pressing Shift or AltGr.

I don't quite get how you reach that conclusion about the qwerty keyboard.

On my ISO102 qwerty keyboard, \ is diagonally adjacent to left control (regardless of whether it's at its original position or on capslock), and there is another \ left of RET, so two keys above, one left of right control.

With an ANSI keyboard, it's only available on one key, which is 3 keys above right control.

This is diverging more and more from the proposal, but: on smaller keyboards (laptops) there is typically only one control key (on the bottom left) and only \ key (near the right top).