Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 12:40:36 +0300

* Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> [2021-02-09 19:45]:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon 08 Feb 2021 at 02:40PM -08, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
> > If C-x C-z is already `suspend-frame', do we really need C-z C-z, too?
>
> As has been mentioned, the thought is that a terminal user who doesn't
> know much about Emacs will probably just hit it a second time if it
> doesn't do what they expect.

I use C-z in shell to stop the job and those jobs usually on my side
impact performance of the computer or performance of the other
job. Imagine the surprise when C-z does not work as expected, will the
user make conclusion to press C-z again after 1 second or after 20 or
30 seconds, and will the data on computer be preserved until that
conclusion arrives? I don't think so.

Removing C-z on console is dangerous for data of computer users IMHO.

Removing C-z on X has less impact on the computer users' data, but
helps user to switch from one frame (iconified) to something else.

Jean