Re: master 0161c9d 1/2: Load all generic-x.el modes unconditionally

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master 0161c9d 1/2: Load all generic-x.el modes unconditionally
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 08:38:31 -0600

>> Users might not want some file suddenly turn on a mode the user didn't
>> intend to use.  I don't understand what else there is to explain here,
>> really.
>
> I thought you were talking about modes being defined, for which I don't
> see any harm.  But indeed, the changes to `auto-mode-alist` imply
> a change in behavior which could I guess be annoying (especially since
> those modes are quite primitive).

I admit that I still don't see the benefit of not just activating all
these modes.  Why would the user not want to use these modes?

They may not be very impressive, but surely they are better than
nothing.  If they are not better than nothing, they should probably
better be removed.

What am I missing?

> My problem was with conditionally defining the modes, not with
> conditionally activating them.  So if we restore the config var but make
> it apply only to the `auto-mode-alist` changes, then I think we'll all
> be happy.
>
> Stefan K, could you do that?

I'm actually more inclined to revert the previous commit.

But I'm again wondering: why not just ask users that don't want one or
more of these modes to remove them from auto-mode-alist?