Re: master 0161c9d 1/2: Load all generic-x.el modes unconditionally

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 0161c9d 1/2: Load all generic-x.el modes unconditionally
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 21:29:48 +0200

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>
> Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 12:00:08 -0600
> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, larsi@gnus.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> I'm also not sure we should ask what some users "might" want, because
> that seems to me too broad.  I think that for any idea, you can always
> find those one or two users who really like or dislike it.  Isn't it
> therefore more productive to ask what *most* current and new users are
> likely to want, and try to model our defaults based on that (while of
> course doing our best to respect existing use patterns)?

For new features, certainly.  But we are talking about changing
existing features that users had years to get used to.  The judgment
calls are different in that case, and so is the importance of what
others might dislike.

And no, I don't consider telling users to turn off font-lock a
legitimate solution.