Re: master 0161c9d 1/2: Load all generic-x.el modes unconditionally

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master 0161c9d 1/2: Load all generic-x.el modes unconditionally
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 08:43:34 -0500

> My preference is to not add to auto-mode-alist at all if the user
> didn't say-so.  But if you prefer reverting the changeset, I don't
> mind that, either.  I still don't quite understand why Stefan thought
> this variable was so ugly that it had to go.  (More generally,
> aesthetics issues very seldom if ever justify backward-incompatible
> changes, IMO.)

The problem was not with the variable, it was with defining functions
conditionally.  I didn't think about the `auto-mode-alist` part, mostly
because it doesn't appear syntactically in the code (it's "hidden" in
one of the args to `define-generic-mode`).
The variable was just the poor messenger ;-)

        Stefan