Re: master 0161c9d 1/2: Load all generic-x.el modes unconditionally

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master 0161c9d 1/2: Load all generic-x.el modes unconditionally
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 11:02:23 -0600

> 1- some of the regexps used may overlap with some pre-existing entries
>    on the default `auto-mode-alist`.  I don't know that it's the case,
>    but I think there are enough regexps in `generic-x` and on
>    `auto-mode-alist` to make such an overlap possible if not likely.

Right, that is indeed a real problem.

(OTOH, I think we should identify and eliminate any such conflicts.)

> 2- They're only added to `auto-mode-alist` when `generic-x` is loaded,
>    which may be too late: they may end up hiding entries added by
>    user-installed ELPA packages or by some other part of the user's
>    init file.

Right again.  I can see that this could be an issue.

> So, maybe a better solution is to make sure the entries are added to the
> *end* of `auto-mode-alist`, which should make them harmless enough.

That sounds good to me: we would then use them only as a last resort.

Is it true that any `auto-mode-alist' entries by third-party packages
installed by package.el are autoloaded before the user can require
generic-x from their init file?  Or did I misunderstand the package

If it is true, I think that the above mostly solves the conflict with
third-party packages, even in the case when it is added to
`auto-mode-alist' using `add-to-list' instead of `push'.

And would the above solution be acceptable to you, Eli?