Re: master 0161c9d 1/2: Load all generic-x.el modes unconditionally

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master 0161c9d 1/2: Load all generic-x.el modes unconditionally
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 15:28:20 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> And no, I don't consider telling users to turn off font-lock a
> legitimate solution.

You suggested that some people might want to edit using
fundamental-mode.  IMHO asking them to then turn on fundamental-mode is
an adequate solution to that problem.

Stefan M pointed out the problem of conflicts in `auto-mode-alist'.
I think this is a real problem, but one that would be mostly addressed
by his proposal for generic-x.el to put its modes last in
auto-mode-alist.

Do you find that solution acceptable or do you prefer that we revert the
original commit?