Re: Smarter M-x that filters on major-mode

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Smarter M-x that filters on major-mode
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 17:00:12 +0200

On 14.02.2021 16:23, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

and is equivalent to (declare (modes MODES...)), then why not allow
only the latter syntax?  Or am I missing something?

Since approx. 97% of commands will eventually have this markup, that
means that 97% of commands will start with

   (declare (modes foo-mode))
   (interactive "p")

and that seems like too much line noise.  We don't have to make Emacs
Lisp into Java.

Seeing how it looks more like a keyword argument than a type specification, maybe CL rather than Java?

'declare' is a pretty standard tool we have, so if the command already has some declarations, one might not end up having to add the extra line (this doesn't change things much now, but sometime in the future it might, when/if we add more declarations of this kind). Also, no enthusiastic package author will end up making their code incompatible with Emacs 27 by accident.