Re: Smarter M-x that filters on major-mode

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Smarter M-x that filters on major-mode
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 10:11:47 -0600

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> Filtering out stuff from an M-x search is a minor feature.  You're
> proposing turning the structures of Emacs upside down in implementing
> it.  This is disproportionate, and will bring unforeseen problems with
> it.
>
> `interactive' currently does one thing and does it well - it says how to
> call a function interactively.  You're advocating adding unrelated stuff
> into `interactive'.  That is ugly, horribly ugly.
>
> You're proposing making the .elc format backward incompatible, all for
> what?  For some minor feature to do with M-x.  A feature which not
> everybody wants (I certainly don't), and not everybody will use.

FWIW, I disagree:

- This feature is extremely useful, I think a big improvement in user
  experience and one of the things to be excited about for Emacs 28.

- This is a clean and natural expansion of `interactive'.

- I'm not sure what it means to turn things upside down.  I assume you
  mean that a horrible mess has been made?  If so, I must disagree with
  that, too.