Re: Smarter M-x that filters on major-mode

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Smarter M-x that filters on major-mode
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 17:33:30 -0600

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

>> - This is a clean and natural expansion of `interactive'.
>
> How can you say this?  The new stuff going into `interactive' has
> nothing to do with its current function.  See above.  Please answer this
> point.

Well, what is `interactive'?  According to the ELisp Manual:

 -- Special Form: interactive arg-descriptor
     This special form declares that a function is a command, and that
     it may therefore be called interactively (via ‘M-x’ or by entering
     a key sequence bound to it).

So `interactive' is exactly about showing it on `M-x'.  Now we add an
extension to that which says _in which modes_ `M-x' will show it (by
default).  That feels very natural to me.

>> - I'm not sure what it means to turn things upside down.
>
> Sorry, that's a bit of English idiom.  It means moving things around a
> lot, changing lots of things, usually with the implication that the
> result won't have justified the extent of the required effort.

OK, that is approximately what I understood.  But I put it in a bit more
blunt language that you did not intend to use.  I apologize if this
misrepresented your position, as that was not my intention.