RE: [External] : Re: Smarter M-x that filters on major-mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Smarter M-x that filters on major-mode
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 23:30:03 +0000

> Instead of this, more Lisp-like solution

I disagree that there is anything more Lisp-like
in what you suggest.  Neither more nor less
Lisp-like.  I don't think there's any relation
to lispiness here.

> would be like removing redundant :group args from
> defcustom when there is a defgroup before them.

And that's misguided, IMO.

It makes things less clear for a human reader,
particularly when multiple :group's apply to a
given option/face or when there are multiple
defgroup's in the file.

And besides being less clear visually, it can
be error prone to move definitions around (e.g.,
when they are kept in some non-dependency order
such as alphabetical).

These reasons against that practice are
admittedly not super-important.  Another argument
is that nothing much is gained by this shortcut.
Better to just declare all :group's explicitly.