Re: Smarter M-x that filters on major-mode

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Smarter M-x that filters on major-mode
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 04:09:37 +0100

> FWIW, I think that having 97% of commands start with
>
>     (interactive "p" foo-mode)
>
> is also undesirable.  I'd much rather have those 97% start with
>
>     (interactive)
>
> and the remaining 3% can use the more verbose:
>
>     (declare (completion t))
>     (interactive)
>
> That should also make it easier to share the exact same objects to
> represent the predicates for those 97% instead of having each one be
> a silly identical clones of the other.  IOW it'd be more efficient for
> the coder, for the source code, and at run-time.

I think there's too much magic in Emacs already.  If a person writes a
function in some file, having that function work differently based on
where in the file it is, would be a disservice to everybody involved.
It'd be unpredictable what the person is writing, and when reading the
resulting code, it's the same problem.

Magic mark-up that works at a distance isn't fun to deal with.

(And you forgot the "p" in your preferred version.  :-))