Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 14:03:26 -0500

> That makes little sense to me.  Other applications that show tool bars
> don't make them appear and disappear, only change as appropriate for
> the context.

Which applications are you thinking of here, that would be comparable to
Emacs (i.e. are part music-player, part text editor, part hex editor, part
IRC client, ...)?

>> One obvious drawback of this proposal is that it's slightly jarring when
>> the toolbar appears and disappears when switching between windows.
> Exactly.

I think the solution is to have toolbars inside the window's text,
rather than attached to the frame.

For mpc.el I played with the idea of building up a "toolbar" that gets
inserted into the buffer, but I didn't the time needed to get something
good enough.

        Stefan