Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 21:16:30 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>,  larsi@gnus.org,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 14:03:26 -0500
>
> > That makes little sense to me.  Other applications that show tool bars
> > don't make them appear and disappear, only change as appropriate for
> > the context.
>
> Which applications are you thinking of here, that would be comparable to
> Emacs (i.e. are part music-player, part text editor, part hex editor, part
> IRC client, ...)?

I don't see how this is relevant.  The tool bar is part of the GUI,
which functions are shown there is immaterial.

> >> One obvious drawback of this proposal is that it's slightly jarring when
> >> the toolbar appears and disappears when switching between windows.
> > Exactly.
>
> I think the solution is to have toolbars inside the window's text,
> rather than attached to the frame.

Is this practical?  Windows can be very narrow, and change dimensions
much more frequently in Emacs than frames.  Tool bars don't live well
with frequent changes in dimensions.

If someone wants to turn tool bar off, let them do that.  We don't
need to turn the Emacs appearance upside down just because of some
fashion: we already support that fashion.