Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 08:52:10 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: stefankangas@gmail.com,  larsi@gnus.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 17:24:59 -0500
>
> >> Which applications are you thinking of here, that would be comparable to
> >> Emacs (i.e. are part music-player, part text editor, part hex editor, part
> >> IRC client, ...)?
> > I don't see how this is relevant.  The tool bar is part of the GUI,
> > which functions are shown there is immaterial.
>
> It's relevant in the fact that some of those applications may come with
> a toolbar while others don't

Which significant applications don't have a tool bar at all,
i.e. don't even have an option to display a tool bar?

> so a single application that provides access too all those
> facilities (like Emacs) may want to sometimes show a toolbar and
> sometimes not.

By what logic?

The tool bar in Emacs is very like the menu bar: it provides quick and
easy access to some frequently-used functions.  Which application
doesn't have any such function to justify the lack of a tool bar?

> > If someone wants to turn tool bar off, let them do that.  We don't
> > need to turn the Emacs appearance upside down just because of some
> > fashion: we already support that fashion.
>
> I'm suggesting to *add* "in-buffer" toolbars (hopefully as a pure-ELisp
> feature).

So your suggestion is to have _both_ the frame-global tool bar and
another tool bar displayed in some windows?  That'd be fine with me
(we already have some modes display a header-line, which is a kind-of
tool bar, and we now have the tab-line as well, so we have similar
functionality already).