Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 17:24:59 -0500

>> > That makes little sense to me.  Other applications that show tool bars
>> > don't make them appear and disappear, only change as appropriate for
>> > the context.
>> Which applications are you thinking of here, that would be comparable to
>> Emacs (i.e. are part music-player, part text editor, part hex editor, part
>> IRC client, ...)?
> I don't see how this is relevant.  The tool bar is part of the GUI,
> which functions are shown there is immaterial.

It's relevant in the fact that some of those applications may come with
a toolbar while others don't, so a single application that provides
access too all those facilities (like Emacs) may want to sometimes show
a toolbar and sometimes not.

>> I think the solution is to have toolbars inside the window's text,
>> rather than attached to the frame.
> Is this practical?  Windows can be very narrow, and change dimensions
> much more frequently in Emacs than frames.  Tool bars don't live well
> with frequent changes in dimensions.
>
> If someone wants to turn tool bar off, let them do that.  We don't
> need to turn the Emacs appearance upside down just because of some
> fashion: we already support that fashion.

I'm suggesting to *add* "in-buffer" toolbars (hopefully as a pure-ELisp
feature).

        Stefan