Re: [elpa] externals/pyim 1e14e7c: V3.1

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [elpa] externals/pyim 1e14e7c: V3.1
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 09:43:21 +0200

> Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 13:26:09 +0800 (CST)
> From: tumashu  <tumashu@163.com>
> Cc: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,
>       "emacs-devel@gnu.org" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> I think we have other problem to put pyim to emacs.git.
> 1. pyim require xr and rx, and  xr is a GNU elpa package,
> 2. pyim support liberime, which is a melpa package.

That's unfortunate.  Can these dependencies be removed in some way?

Also, are these dependencies needed always, or just for some features
of the pyim input method.  IOW, if the user only wants to use the
input method, i.e. type "C-u C-\ pyim RET" and type the characters,
does such a user need these dependencies?  If not, perhaps the
dependencies could be made optional if not removed.

And I think the dependency on MELPA is the most worrisome, as we try
not to encourage users to install packages from there, let alone force
them do it.