Re: [elpa] externals/pyim 1e14e7c: V3.1

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [elpa] externals/pyim 1e14e7c: V3.1
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2021 09:46:12 -0500

>> I think we have other problem to put pyim to emacs.git.
>> 1. pyim require xr and rx, and  xr is a GNU elpa package,
>> 2. pyim support liberime, which is a melpa package.
> That's unfortunate.  Can these dependencies be removed in some way?
> Also, are these dependencies needed always, or just for some features
> of the pyim input method.  IOW, if the user only wants to use the
> input method, i.e. type "C-u C-\ pyim RET" and type the characters,
> does such a user need these dependencies?  If not, perhaps the
> dependencies could be made optional if not removed.

[ I don't know the answers, but indeed, input-methods are typically
  "leaf packages" which tend to depend on others more than others tend
  to depend on them, so from that point of view they're not the best
  candidates for inclusion into Emacs's core.  ]

> And I think the dependency on MELPA is the most worrisome, as we try
> not to encourage users to install packages from there, let alone force
> them do it.

This is not a dependency: `pyim` provides some code so it interacts well
with `liberime` but it does not require `liberime` at all.
It's definitely fine for GNU ELPA from that point of view, and I don't
see why that should be a problem for inclusion into core either.

        Stefan