Re: [External] : Re: Consistent face for keys in *Help* and `substitute-

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Consistent face for keys in *Help* and `substitute-command-keys'
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2021 11:05:54 +0200

>> It would be nice to keep the current face 'help-key-binding'
>> even after adding links.
>
> Yes, as it happens that is exactly what I'm currently experimenting
> with.  See the attached patch if you want to try it out; I think the
> effect is quite nice.

Thanks, I tested your patch and everything is nice.

> But I'm seeing bootstrap problems if I flip the new option here to t, so
> we couldn't use it as the default in its current form.
>
> [The problem is that the button type `help-function' is defined in
> help-mode.el, but that file is not autoloaded (and help.el is).  There
> are several ways to fix it, but I haven't yet had time to think about
> which is better.  (For example, we could force the option to nil during
> bootstrap.  Or we could just move the button definitions into its own
> file or into help.el to make sure they are there during bootstrap.) ]

Enabling it by default would be nice too if you will find a solution for
bootstraping problem.  Here's what it looks like when trying to bootstrap:

  ELC      emacs-lisp/autoload.elc
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function help-mode--add-function-link)
  (help-mode--add-function-link key fun)
  substitute-command-keys("Memory exhausted--use \\[save-some-buffers] then
ex...")
  command-line()

So either the option should be disabled or the function be available
during bootstrap.